Nuestro sitio ha sido optimizado para Google Chrome
Instructions for authors
Contributions: A Contracorriente accepts submissions all year long. Our average response time is two to three months. Once a submission is accepted, the journal will notify the author with more details, including the issue in which the submission will be published.
PLEASE FILL OUT ALL SECTIONS OF THE FORM USED TO UPLOAD YOUR CONTRIBUTION, INCLUDING SUMMARY/ABSTRACT, AFFILIATION, AND KEYWORDS. DO NOT USE COMMAS TO SEPARATE THE KEY WORDS, PLEASE ONLY USE SEMICOLONS.
Please also recall that we publish articles in Spanish and English, with a maximum length of 4,500 to 12,000 words, debate pieces or notes with a maximum of 3,000 to 8,000 words, interviews with a maximum of 5,000 words, and book reviews of no more than 4,000 words.
Editorial guidelines for publishing with A Contracorriente
Contributions sent to our journal (articles, notes, reviews, or other) should follow these editorial guidelines in order to receive consideration for publication:
1) All texts should be unpublished.
2) The only acceptable format is Microsoft Word.
3) A brief biography of the author (5-10 lines) should be included in the online submission form, as well as the author’s affiliation and contact information. This information should not appear anywhere in the text of the article.
4) All references that appear in footnotes should follow these models:
Works Cited (at the end of the article):
a) Books by a single author:
Gilman. Claudia. 2003. Entre la pluma y el fusil. Debates y dilemas del escritor revolucionario en América Latina. Buenos Aires: Siglo XXI Editores.
b) Edited volumes:
Florescano, Enrique, ed. 1975. Haciendas, latifundios y plantaciones en América Latina. México: Siglo Veintiuno Editores. [Sometimes “Coord.” might be more appropriate than “Ed.” depending on the nature of the volume].
c) Journal articles:
Tutino, John. 2009. “Soberanía quebrada, insurgencias populares y la independencia de México: la guerra de independencias, 1808-1821”, Historia Mexicana (LIX): 11-75.
d) Chapters in edited volumes:
Carr, Barry. 2007. “Hacia una historia de los comunismos mexicanos: desafíos y sugerencias”. En Elvira Concheiro, Massimo Modonesi y Horacio Crespo, coords. El comunismo: otras miradas desde América Latina. México: Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. 521-526.
e) Citing books and articles in English [all words in the title in capital letters]:
Said, Edward. 1994. Representations of the Intellectual. New York: Vintage Books.
Matthews, Wade. 2008. “Class, Nation, and Capitalist Globalization: Eric Hobsbawm and the National Question”, International Review of Social History (53, 1): 63-99.
a) The author’s last name, year of publication, and page numbers in parenthesis (followed by a period).
(Franco 2002, 57).
(Rama 1985, 23).
b) Periods and commas go before quotation marks for in-text citations.
“En efecto, es en el período romántico—y bajo la presión de la influencia europea—cuando principian a marcarse límites definidos para los géneros, antes indiferenciados, del relato” (Lastra 1999, 13).
“In a continent where people tend to be much preoccupied with the question, ‘Who’s in power?,’ García Márquez’s fiction puts together and brings vividly to life the experiences that make this obsession a concrete everyday reality” (Bell-Villada 2010, 13).
5) In-text citations of more than five lines should be handled as block quotes, indented, with no quotation marks:
Indeed, Chile made the turn to an urban majority faster than most Latin American countries. Some 60 percent lived in urban locales of over 20,000 inhabitants, about 40 percent in cities over 100,000, and some 30 percent in metropolitan Santiago. The population of greater Santiago doubled to nearly 2 million between 1940 and 1960, approaching 3 million by 1970 (Stern 2006, 10).
Fue el eurocentrismo, más que cualquier otra tendencia, el que devastó el marxismo latinoamericano. Con ese término nos queremos referir a una teoría que se limita transplantar mecánicamente hacia América Latina los modelos de desarrollo socioeconómico que explican la evolución histórica de la Europa a lo largo del siglo XIX (Löwy 1999, 10-11).
6) The list of works cited should appear at the end of the article.
7) If the article is divided into sections, the title of each section should be in italics.
8) Book reviews must include a title (different from the book being reviewed).
9) If the article contains graphics or tables, they must be sent as separate files (uploaded during step four of the submission process), with callouts in the article text to show the approximate location of the image or table.
10) All images must be high-resolution (300 ppi minimum). If the image contains text, we recommend 400 ppi.
1. Author hereby grants, transfers, and assigns to A Contracorriente:
(a) the exclusive first serial rights in the Work for publication and distribution throughout the world, as A Contracorriente sees fit, in all languages and formats, by print or any electronic means, including, without limitation, the internet, other public and/or private proprietary intranets and computer networks and on CD-ROMs, DVDs and other discs, before the Work shall appear in any other publication (whether print or electronic), in any manner, format or language, or in any other medium now known or hereafter devised. The first serial rights granted to A Contracorriente by this Paragraph 1(a) shall be exclusive to A Contracorriente until one year following the date of the first serial publication of the Work by A Contracorriente; in addition, this grant of rights shall include the non-exclusive right in perpetuity to include the Work in any collection, or compilation produced or authorized by A Contracorriente, and containing at least 75% material that has appeared in A Contracorriente, for distribution throughout the world, in all languages and formats, by print or any electronic means, including, without limitation, the internet and other public and proprietary intranets and computer networks and on CDROMs, DVDs and other discs;
(b) further, the non-exclusive right to authorize, reproduce and distribute reprints of the Work throughout the world, in all languages and formats, by print or any electronic means, after the Work appears in a publication produced or authorized by A Contracorriente; the right to permit subscribers and other users of the services and publications in which the Work may appear electronically to download, reproduce, and otherwise utilize the Work for their personal, non-commercial use throughout the universe; and the non-exclusive perpetual right, throughout the world, to use the Work, in whole or in part, and Author’s name, likeness, or biography in promoting, advertising, and/or publicizing any publication in which the Work is authorized to appear consistent with this Agreement.
2. A Contracorriente reserves the right to publish the Work with illustrations and other graphic materials. Nothing contained herein shall obligate A Contracorriente to exploit any of the rights granted to A Contracorriente hereunder. All rights not granted to A Contracorriente are reserved to Author for Author’s own use and/or transfer, assignment, or disposition.
3. Author represents and warrants: the Work is original to Author, has not been copied in whole or in part, and does not infringe upon the copyright or any other rights of any person or entity; Author has the right to grant the rights granted to A Contracorriente under this Agreement free of any and all claims and encumbrances; Author has not granted or transferred any rights in or to the Work to any third party; and Author has not done and will not do anything that has impaired, might impair or will impair in any way any of the rights granted to A Contracorriente hereunder.
4. Author shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the NC State and its employees, agents, affiliates, successors, licensees, and assigns from and against all claims, damages, liabilities, losses, costs, and expenses, including, without limitation, attorney’s fees and costs, arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of Author’s representations, warranties, or agreements. Any remedies that Author may have against A Contracorriente for breach of this Agreement shall be limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law. Author hereby waives any right or remedy in equity, including any right to terminate this Agreement, to rescind A Contracorriente’s rights in the Work, or to enjoin, restrain, or otherwise impair in any manner the production or distribution of any publication that is authorized or produced by A Contracorriente.
5. A Contracorriente shall have the right to assign this Agreement, either in whole or in part, to any entity affiliated with A Contracorriente or to any party that acquires all or substantially all of A Contracorriente's assets. Author shall not have the right to further assign any of the rights conferred pursuant to this Agreement, either in whole or in part, or any of the rights granted to Author herein.
6. This Agreement is intended by the parties hereto as the final expression of their understanding with respect to the subject matter herein, as a complete and exclusive statement of the terms herein, and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous negotiations, understandings, and agreements between the parties relating thereto.
7. The Agreement may be modified only by a writing signed by both parties to the Agreement. The laws and courts of the State of North Carolina shall govern and control the resolution of any and all conflicts and disputes that may arise hereunder.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
¿Sabía Ud que...?
Editorial A Contracorriente ofrece una amplia gama de títulos sobre los estudios latinoamericanos y otros temas afines a nuestra revista. Todos nuestros títulos están disponibles en la mayoría de las tiendas virtuales (Amazon o Barnes and Noble) así como a través de nuestro distribuidor The University of North Carolina Press.
Para conocer más sobre la editorial, por favor visítenos.